A new cannon foundry museum has been officially inaugurated, next to the mediaeval castle of Sárospatak. The ribbon was cut on 15th July to mark the completion of the exhibition facility before it opens its doors to the public on 1st August. The contemporary styled building, with a floor area of close to 500 sqm, accommodates the remnants of a 17th-century cannon foundry, unearthed during some six years of archaeological excavations and then partially restored. Contrary to a current trend of digital display environments, the museum relies on the use of life-size puppets to depict the various stages of the cannon manufacturing process.
The foundry had been set up in about 1631 and operated for decades by the Rákóczis, the family that owned vast lands and vineyards, as well as several castles and country houses all over the region throughout the 1600s.